City Art Holiday Card Contest
M. HOPPLE & CO. PRESENTS THE TWELFTH ANNUAL CITY ART HOLIDAY CARD CONTEST
Call to Artists:
M. Hopple & Co., Cincinnati’s premier fine paper goods retailer, is proud to announce their TWELFTH Annual CityArt Holiday Card
Contest. This year’s theme is “Cincinnati Parks”! The judges award points based on the following criteria: artwork fits the chosen theme for the year, is appealing to the general population of Cincinnati and the surrounding area, and will reproduce well as a greeting card. Winning designs will be printed as part of the 2018 CityArt Holiday Card Collection. The collection will be sold at M. Hopple & Co.,
with 10% of the proceeds going to the Cincinnati Parks Foundation.
Art from this competition has been featured on local morning news shows and in numerous newspapers and media outlets
in our region. Since 2006, over 25,000 CityArt cards have been sold.
This year’s theme guidelines:
Local artists are to capture various local parks during the holidays and winter time in Cincinnati, for example: ice skating at Mirror Lake in Eden Park, sledding at Mt. Storm Park, Hyde Park Square decked out for the holidays, the snow covered pavillion at Ault Park, French House in a winter setting, people (or dogs!) enjoying Washington Square Park in the snow, a winter walk on the trails at Cincinnati Nature Center, exploring the Berringer-Crawford Museum in Devou Park, the winter Cincinnati skyline view from Smale Riverfront Park, Carol Ann’s Carousel, Krohn’s Conservatory, etc.
Sizing of artwork:
Original art should be no larger than 10” x 14″ and MUST BE PROPORTIONAL TO 5×7. The final cards will be 5” x 7” and printed in
full color or black and white, as appropriate. For cropping purposes art is best when it is proportional to the final 5×7 size, either
vertical or horizontal. Please be sure no important elements of your work appear within 1/2″ of all outside edges. THIS INCLUDES THE
ARTIST SIGNATURE!!! To allow for full bleed printing, 1/4″ will be TRIMMED from all sides. If your art is not set up as noted above, elements could be cropped out.
• Art should feature theme as described above. Because the winning submissions will be sold as greeting cards during the
holiday season, submissions should be seasonal (avoid summer scenes, spring flowers, etc.)
• Media types can include photo, painting, drawing and collage. Artists should avoid glitter, three dimensional features or other
techniques that will not reproduce effectively in print.
• Artists are asked to remove or obscure any features or objects that might be copyrighted, trademarked or otherwise are not part
of the public domain, i.e. logos or signs, unless permission is granted in writing by the owner of the feature or object.
• A panel of judges will select a minimum of three winning submissions.
• Artists must agree not to compete with the Holiday Card Collection by reproducing their art in a similar fashion through
January 1, 2019.
• Contest organizers have the right to adjust contest guidelines as necessary.
- September 15, 2018 FINAL DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS (END OF BUSINESS DAY 5:00 P.M.)
- September 21, 2018 Winners of Holiday Card Contest Announced
- Mid October-December Holiday Card Collection available for sale
- November 5, 2018 Original Art and prizes can be picked up at M. Hopple & Co. during normal
- March 1, 2019 Art must be claimed by this date. Unclaimed art will become the property
of M. Hopple & Co.
Prizes: This year’s winners will receive a framed print of their artwork, plus a set of 25 of his/her winning card.
See link for full information and submission form.